[PD] ChucK vs. Pd

Michal Seta mis at artengine.ca
Mon May 31 23:38:22 CEST 2010

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 5:02 PM, Pierre Massat <pimassat at gmail.com> wrote:
> the Harvard laptop music ensemble are using Chuck exclusively.

L2Ork - Linux Laptop Orchestra at Virginia tech uses Pd, AFAIK...

Also, NEXUS at Concordia University uses Pd
http://matralab.hexagram.ca/nexus-world-premiere-at-congress-2010-581.htm
(Not exactly a laptop orchestra but a slightly different beast).

I have used ChucK very little but in my experience it was fun to try
out quickly musical ideas.  Some synthesis + musical ideas as well.
But I found it a little computationally inefficient for more complex
situations and having quick access to GUI while prototyping (without
having to write code or OSC tags) is convenient.

Besides that I would suggest you spend some time with it and see if it
provides you with enough satisfaction, that is really the only way to
know.

Best,

./MiS