[PD] Patch Tracker WAS no reverb or delwrite~, delread~ working with -nogui onUbuntu 10.04

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Sat Jun 5 19:37:42 CEST 2010

On Jun 5, 2010, at 6:54 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Sat, 5 Jun 2010, Dan Wilcox wrote:
>
>> Nothing personal ... just that I'm annoyed that these are even issues.
>
> Then what can you say to help us ?

Use the tracker. That's what it's there for. Keeping changes to core functionality only in SVN logs works for projects with a small group of contributors who are mainly developers. Non technical users and users like myself who don't have svn commit access already submit to the tracker and as Hans said the discussion area is useful. It's nice to have an organized location for handling these issues and I'm sure it helps to lower information overload for Hans et al.

>> Also endless discussions over help formats seem like such trivialities in the grand scheme of things.
>
> Then tell, what do you suggest that we do ?

Use help patches directly. We should choose the best among the existing formats and use it. Surveys from non-technical users and voting may be required. I think the input from a few workshops is far more useful then developers squabbling over which canvases and layout look best.

From what I've seen, the GEM and Gridflow helps are the best. They are very informative and professional.

Of course this would require updating the pd tutorial and externals helps. So be it. We script in a new layout template into each patch then can split up the patches up amongst ourselves to cleanup or have a sprint like the FLOSS manuals sprint.

Also, the pd gui rewrite offers possibilities such as a menu option to automatically create an svn diff of the current patch.

>> Other open source projects have solved these problems and moved on,
>
> Other open source projects don't have that problem with the help because their help is not written in the language itself and doesn't have that live-demo aspect to it.

That live demo aspect is what I think makes it so intuitive. As you suggest, the basic format is obvious versus XML, html, etc. Personally I don't think a pdpedia of objects would ever be as useful or maintainable as pd help-patches.

>> will this ever happen for Pd?
>
> You see, the advantage of open-source projects is that you can get involved if you are not happy with them. It's not guaranteed to give results all of the time, but you can make a difference over time.

You don't have to tell me this. I'm here, I submit bug reports and patches when I can.

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com
robotcowboy.com