[PD] MIDI In-to-Out Latency

Mike Moser-Booth mmoserbooth at gmail.com
Sun Jun 6 05:47:52 CEST 2010

Jim Aikin wrote:
> When I look in Pd's audio settings box, I find something rather
> disturbing. It doesn't give me access to the ASIO driver. So the
> latency with internally generated audio will _inevitably_ be 100ms or
> more. But: That should not affect the MIDI through routing when no
> audio is being generated! If it does, Pd is in serious need of
> optimization. It doesn't take 100ms to route three bytes through a
> buffer. Or at least, it shouldn't.

There should be an item in the Media menu that says "ASIO (via
portaudio)" that should be checked in order to use the ASIO drivers.

For what it's worth, I've had the same problem in OSX routing MIDI
through the IAC bus into various DAWs (haven't actually tried it yet on
Windows XP). It's pretty frustrating. I get the feeling that the delay
time set in the Audio Settings dialog is applied to the MIDI I/O as
well, though that's just speculation on my part as I have never tried to
verify that.

.mmb