[PD] Google Summer of Code 2011

patrick mcnameeking pmcnameeking at gmail.com
Sun Jun 6 22:22:10 CEST 2010

Hello List:

I am interested in putting together an application for Pure Data to
participate in next year's Google Summer of Code event.  The Summer of Code
is an event where students are matched with mentors to work on various
open-source projects, and are given a rather generous stipend.  More
information can be found here:
http://code.google.com/soc/

As an organization, Pure Data has applied to participate in GSoC twice in
the past and has been rejected.  The reasons for rejection are not clear to
me, but Hans-Christoph Steiner, who has lead the charge in the past, said
that he thinks it is worth trying to reapply.
Here is a link to a previous application that was rejected:
http://puredata.info/dev/summer-of-code

While perusing through the list of organizations that are participating in
2010's Summer of Code, I couldn't help but notice that many of them were
tagged with application to Google's Android OS.  Since Pd can be ported to
Android, it might be to our benefit to point out Pd's possible application
to developing mobile apps.

Alternatively, if nothing pans out for Pd in terms of GSoC (either from
rejection of an application or from a lack of interest) it was suggested to
me by Andy Farnell to seek alternative sponsorship from possible benefactors
such as Sun or EA.

Finally, I'd like to say upfront that I'm a University Student and what
originally got me interested in GSoC was the potential prestige and stipend
that would accompany participation.  If some sort of grant/sponsorship
opportunity opens up, I fully intend on applying for it.  I ask that if at
any point in time it seems as though I am creating an unfair advantage for
myself, that someone please let me know.

I hope that as a community we can make something happen!
Pat

--
'Given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow.'