[PD] Pd exhibition WAS: Google Summer of Code 2011

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Mon Jun 7 01:22:34 CEST 2010

We have an exhibition setup, but it could use some nice formatting
from a webdev.  I think the plone workflow is easy enough, someone
just needs to do the python/CSS to make the page look nice:

http://puredata.info/exhibition

Then, of course, people should add more things to the exhibition.
Here's how:
http://puredata.info/docs/sitedocs/AddingToTheExhibition

.hc

On Jun 6, 2010, at 6:21 PM, Dan Wilcox wrote:

> I'm definitely interested and willing to help out. I will be a
> student again starting in the fall, so I'd be eligible to work on it
> next summer.
>
> I think it's important to not only make a great application but also
> define what we as a community and the project need to do in order to
> support the application. This makes me think of things like:
> getting a list of universities, organizations, and individuals that
> use pd (with links, logos, etc)
> expanding the PD showcase of projects made with pd (like the
> Processing Exhibition)
> centralizing information: integrating the main pure-data.info wiki,
> the source forge page, the pd forum, and this list in some way? sort
> of a more cohesive web presence if that makes sense. Maybe this is
> not practical ...
> a wiki section for externals with info and links for all major
> libraries (including those in pd-extended)
>
> On Jun 6, 2010, at 10:22 PM, patrick mcnameeking wrote:
>
>> Hello List:
>>
>> I am interested in putting together an application for Pure Data to
>> participate in next year's Google Summer of Code event.  The Summer
>> of Code is an event where students are matched with mentors to work
>> on various open-source projects, and are given a rather generous
>> stipend.  More information can be found here:
>> http://code.google.com/soc/
>>
>> As an organization, Pure Data has applied to participate in GSoC
>> twice in the past and has been rejected.  The reasons for rejection
>> are not clear to me, but Hans-Christoph Steiner, who has lead the
>> charge in the past, said that he thinks it is worth trying to
>> reapply.
>> Here is a link to a previous application that was rejected:
>> http://puredata.info/dev/summer-of-code
>>
>> While perusing through the list of organizations that are
>> participating in 2010's Summer of Code, I couldn't help but notice
>> that many of them were tagged with application to Google's Android
>> OS.  Since Pd can be ported to Android, it might be to our benefit
>> to point out Pd's possible application to developing mobile apps.
>>
>> Alternatively, if nothing pans out for Pd in terms of GSoC (either
>> from rejection of an application or from a lack of interest) it was
>> suggested to me by Andy Farnell to seek alternative sponsorship
>> from possible benefactors such as Sun or EA.
>>
>> Finally, I'd like to say upfront that I'm a University Student and
>> what originally got me interested in GSoC was the potential
>> prestige and stipend that would accompany participation.  If some
>> sort of grant/sponsorship opportunity opens up, I fully intend on
>> applying for it.  I ask that if at any point in time it seems as
>> though I am creating an unfair advantage for myself, that someone
>> please let me know.
>>
>> I hope that as a community we can make something happen!
>> Pat
>>
>> --
> [...]

The arc of history bends towards justice.     - Dr. Martin Luther
King, Jr.