[PD] Question About Arrays

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Jun 7 18:56:23 CEST 2010

On Mon, 7 Jun 2010, Funs Seelen wrote:

> As far as I know arrays are not objects but GUI representations of
> tables, so there's no object help-file for it, except for the object
> [table].

There are five concurrent things that may be called objects in pd.

There's t_pd, the set of all receivers; the concept of method is defined
at this level.

There's t_gobj, "graphical object", that includes anything that can appear
in a canvas.

There's t_object (aka t_text), that includes anything that has inlets and
outlets and then some more (comments...).

There's Ctrl+1, a Put menu item for making "Object". This excludes
comments, floatbox, symbolbox, messagebox.

Then there are the object classes that don't use special representations.
If you type "bng" in a Ctrl+1 box, you get a bang button, not an ordinary
object box.

If you create an Array from the Put menu, then create a [s] to the
receive-symbol of the array, you can send messages, and if I send the
message "zzz", I get :

   error: array: no method for 'zzz'

array is the classname of the object you just sent to.