[PD] plugin~ external

Kim Cascone kim at anechoicmedia.com
Thu Jun 10 04:05:03 CEST 2010

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> On Jun 9, 2010, at 4:15 PM, Kim Cascone wrote:
>
>> IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

>>> this basically indicates that you are _not_ using the newest version.
>>>
>> ah OK
>> is this NOT the url for the src?
>
> Perhaps Pd is finding a plugin~ binary elsewhere first.  YOu can see
> which binary Pd loaded by turning on 'verbose' mode in the prefs or
> from the cmd line.
yeah that is what was happening
it keeps loading the old one here instead of seeing the new one in my
pd-externals dir:

so I replaced the old plugin~ in /flatspace/ with todays build
deleted the old paths to the /plugin~ dir I created

launched PdX and console message was:
tried /usr/lib/pd/extra/flatspace/plugin~.pd_linux and succeeded

I opened my test patch: 'plugin~June9.pd'

tried /usr/lib/pd/extra/flatspace/plugin~.pd_linux and succeeded
verbose( 1):plugin~: found plugin "amp" in library
"/usr/lib/ladspa/amp_1181.so"
verbose( 1):plugin~: constructed plugin "Simple amplifier" successfully
verbose( 1):plugin~: plugin ports: audio 1/1 ctrl 1/0
verbose( 1):plugin~: plugin active
plugin~: "Simple amplifier"

then I sent down both [listplugins] and [info]
but they still make PdX crash

I launched pd -stderr

and got the following:

kim at kim-laptop:~$ pd -stderr
couldn't open MIDI input device 0
couldn't open MIDI output device 0
opened 0 MIDI input device(s) and 0 MIDI output device(s).
tk scaling is 1.33202228777
tried but couldn't sync A/D/A
libdir loader $Revision: 1.8 $
    compiled on Jun  4 2009 at 14:32:58
    compiled against Pd version 0.41.4.extended
GEM: Graphics Environment for Multimedia
GEM: ver: 0.91.3 'tigital'
GEM: compiled: Jun  4 2009
GEM: maintained by IOhannes m zmoelnig
GEM: Authors :    Mark Danks (original version)
GEM:        Chris Clepper
GEM:        James Tittle
GEM:        IOhannes m zmoelnig
GEM: with help by Guenter Geiger, Daniel Heckenberg, Cyrille Henry, et al.
GEM: found a bug? miss a feature? please report it:
GEM:     homepage http://gem.iem.at/
GEM:     bug-tracker http://sourceforge.net/projects/pd-gem/
GEM: compiled for SIMD architecture: MMX
GEM: using MMX optimization
libdir_loader: added 'ggee' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'memento' to the global objectclass path
GridFlow 9.9, Copyright (c) 2001-2010 Mathieu Bouchard
GridFlow was compiled on May  5 2010, 15:37:51
GF: setting stack size to -1
libdir_loader: added 'zexy' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'oscx' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'mapping' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'cyclone' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'flib' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'pddp' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'ext13' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'list-abs' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'motex' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'maxlib' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'pdogg' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'iemlib' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'pixeltango' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'flatspace' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'markex' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'mjlib' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'smlib' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'rradical' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'freeverb' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'toxy' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'unauthorized' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'jmmmp' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'pan' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'hcs' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'cxc' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'sigpack' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'creb' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'ekext' to the global objectclass path
PDP: pure data packet version 0.12.5-darcs
PiDiP : additional video processing objects for PDP
    version 0.12.23 ( ydegoyon at free.fr )
pdp_colorgrid: version 0.4
by Yves Degoyon (ydegoyon at free.fr) & Lluis Gomez i Bigorda
(lluis at artefacte.org)
pdp_ieee1394 : linux dv interface by Lluis Gomez i Bigorda
(lluisgomez at hangar.org)
extra: can't load library
plugin~: "Simple amplifier"
pd_gui: pd process exited
Segmentation fault

not sure what else to try...

***another question I have is:
if I get
verbose( 1):plugin~: plugin ports: audio 1/1 ctrl 1/0

in the console when a plugin instantiates then
what is the correct nomenclature to use when using this external in a patch?

KIM