[PD] plugin~ external

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Jun 10 15:21:48 CEST 2010

On 06/10/2010 04:05 AM, Kim Cascone wrote:
> yeah that is what was happening
> it keeps loading the old one here instead of seeing the new one in my
> pd-externals dir:

allright.
Pd-extended often makes it a bit difficult to isolate things like that.

this is how i do it (and it's probably a good idea :-)

- - go to plugin-sources
- - compile with scons
- - run Pd with the "-noprefs" flag
- - open your plugin~-testpatch

so the trick is to use "-noprefs", which will make Pd(X) ignore the
.pdsettings/.pdrc, so no libraries are loaded by default nor any paths
are added but the "standard" ones ("extra/")

> so I replaced the old plugin~ in /flatspace/ with todays build
> deleted the old paths to the /plugin~ dir I created
>
> launched PdX and console message was:
> tried /usr/lib/pd/extra/flatspace/plugin~.pd_linux and succeeded
>
> I opened my test patch: 'plugin~June9.pd'
>
> tried /usr/lib/pd/extra/flatspace/plugin~.pd_linux and succeeded
> verbose( 1):plugin~: found plugin "amp" in library
> "/usr/lib/ladspa/amp_1181.so"
> verbose( 1):plugin~: constructed plugin "Simple amplifier" successfully
> verbose( 1):plugin~: plugin ports: audio 1/1 ctrl 1/0
> verbose( 1):plugin~: plugin active
> plugin~: "Simple amplifier"

good.

> then I sent down both [listplugins] and [info]
> but they still make PdX crash

bad.

when does it crash?
when sending "listplugins" or when sending "info", or still with both?

> I launched pd -stderr

unfortunately this gives loads of uninteresting info, and no interesting
info.

better would be:
$ cd path/to/plugin~
$ pd -noprefs -stderr -verbose -verbose plugin~-June08.pd

and see if something more interesting comes out of it.

also;
would it be possible to run it within gdb?

and/or send me the test-patch and your /usr/lib/ladspa/amp_1181.so

mfgasdr
IOhannes