[PD] plugin~ external

Kim Cascone kim at anechoicmedia.com
Thu Jun 10 19:40:59 CEST 2010

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> On Jun 10, 2010, at 9:21 AM, IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:

>> On 06/10/2010 04:05 AM, Kim Cascone wrote:
>>> yeah that is what was happening
>>> it keeps loading the old one here instead of seeing the new one in my
>>> pd-externals dir:
>>
>> allright.
>> Pd-extended often makes it a bit difficult to isolate things like that.
>>
>> this is how i do it (and it's probably a good idea :-)
>>
>> - - go to plugin-sources
>> - - compile with scons
>> - - run Pd with the "-noprefs" flag
>> - - open your plugin~-testpatch
>>
>> so the trick is to use "-noprefs", which will make Pd(X) ignore the
>> .pdsettings/.pdrc, so no libraries are loaded by default nor any paths
>> are added but the "standard" ones ("extra/")
very useful trick! thanks!!
and this did work
so obviously there must be a library loading that affects [plugin~]
ability to gather info

>>> so I replaced the old plugin~ in /flatspace/ with todays build
>>> deleted the old paths to the /plugin~ dir I created
>>>
>>> launched PdX and console message was:
>>> tried /usr/lib/pd/extra/flatspace/plugin~.pd_linux and succeeded
>>>
>>> I opened my test patch: 'plugin~June9.pd'
>>>
>>> tried /usr/lib/pd/extra/flatspace/plugin~.pd_linux and succeeded
>>> verbose( 1):plugin~: found plugin "amp" in library
>>> "/usr/lib/ladspa/amp_1181.so"
>>> verbose( 1):plugin~: constructed plugin "Simple amplifier" successfully
>>> verbose( 1):plugin~: plugin ports: audio 1/1 ctrl 1/0
>>> verbose( 1):plugin~: plugin active
>>> plugin~: "Simple amplifier"
>>>

>> good.
>>

>>> then I sent down both [listplugins] and [info]
>>> but they still make PdX crash
>>
>> bad.
>>
>> when does it crash?
>> when sending "listplugins" or when sending "info", or still with both?
it was both
but now running with the -noprefs flag neither message crashes it

>>> I launched pd -stderr
>>
>> unfortunately this gives loads of uninteresting info, and no interesting
>> info.
>>
>> better would be:
>> $ cd path/to/plugin~
>> $ pd -noprefs -stderr -verbose -verbose plugin~-June08.pd
>>

>> and see if something more interesting comes out of it.
>>
>> also;
>> would it be possible to run it within gdb?
I have gdb loaded but not sure how to use it

>> and/or send me the test-patch and your /usr/lib/ladspa/amp_1181.so
I'm using the amp.so that comes with the LADSPA-sdk
my patch and amp.so are zipped and attached

I am editing the 'hosting plugins' page on the PdX FOSS manuals
and still need to know how to translate the info dumped by the plugin~
external into
something a person can use
it seems that the number of controls = #1 - #n
???
if this is the case it is unclear and confusing
and needs to be clarified somewhere for other users
coming to PdX from Max/MSP or other audio programming platforms

**I thank you both very much for taking the time to help me figure all
this out :)

I think that being able to easily host a LADSPA, LV2, DSSI, or VST plug
in PdX
is a critically important part of building audio tools
and should not be an issue in 2010
we're getting there! :)
KIM