[PD] starting automatically "read only" (Ubuntu 10.04)

András Murányi muranyia at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 00:46:47 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 8:32 PM, Ingo Scherzinger <ingo at miamiwave.com>wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> with the help of Dan Wilcox I got pretty close to start my system "read
> only" however I'm still getting a nasty nagscreen which I have to click
> away
> while starting up. I really need this machine to start up automatically
> with
> a read only filesystem.
>
> The error is pretty much known in the internet forums. However I havn't
> found a workaraound for a "read only" filesystem:
>
> "could not update ICEauthory file /home/ingo/.ICEauthory"
>

> /etc/fstab looks like this:

> <dump>  <pass>
> proc                    /proc           proc    nodev,noexec,nosuid
> 0       0
>
> # /boot was on /dev/sda1 during installation
> UUID=6f3bcc50-4957-46a6-91d5-c8f5bbf77578       /boot   ext3    ro      0
> 0
>
> # / was on /dev/sda2 during installation
> UUID=6a94f9f8-6ee2-4e98-b57f-e2353b916b39 /     ext3    ro      0       0
>
> /dev/sda3       /home/ingo/data ext3    rw,user,noauto          0       2
>
> <pre><code>
> tmpfs /var/run tmpfs defaults 0 0
> tmpfs /var/lock tmpfs defaults 0 0
> tmpfs /var/log tmpfs defaults 0 0
> tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults 0 0
> </code></pre>
>
> Also, sda3 is not mounting automatically if I set it to "auto". I was
> trying
> to put the .ICEauthory file to the third partition and replace the original
> one with a link.
>
> I would appreciate it a lot if anybody had an idea how to eliminate the
> .ICEauthory problem.
>
> Thank you, Ingo

If the file's contents have to be preserved between sessions, it's breaking
the "read only system" paradigm. (You may still be able to use an usb drive
for this purpose?)
If the file can be recreated with the same content at each startup, i'd
think about how to trick it to be on a temporary writable filesystem. I
suppose we cannot change the default path for this file, and i'm not sure if
you can a have link in your read only filesystem (/home/ingo) pointing to a
yet-to-be-created file on a temporary filesystem, but given the annoyance
factor of the problem, it may make sense to trick your whole /home/ingo onto
a temporary filesystem (from where of course you will be free to create
links to directories that reside on the read-only filesystem).

Andras