[PD] plugin~ external

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Jun 11 10:52:57 CEST 2010

On 06/11/2010 09:22 AM, Kim Cascone wrote:
> actually, it seems that the .pdsettings are loaded on start up -- no?
> so wouldn't that make them a sort of script too - in a sense?

yes, it's a script in a "declarative language", with a very minimalistic
feature set.
it's not what i would call a script in everyday life (which for me is
usually very imperative).
"in a sense" everything is a script.

> yes, I was only interested in creating a workflow that would make
> testing plugin~ smoother
> no big deal about not being able to set -flags persistently

that's why i was wondering...

> .pdsettings gets loaded on startup - no?
yes

> so, if I make changes directly to this file in gedit won't those changes
> be loaded as well?

sure; that's the point of a configuration file.

though i don't get your point.
if you have a shell script like:
<snip>
#!/bin/sh
pd -path /path/to/nowhere -lib rary
</snip>

and you run this script, then Pd will persistently add /path/to/nowhere
to it's search-path and it will persistently try to load the "rary" lib.
every single time you run the script.
if you open the script in gedit, and change the "nowhere" to "anywhere",
then the Pd will persistently add  /path/to/anywhere whenever started
from this script.

you can then ignore the pdsettings.

but you can have multiple scripts with different AND still persistent
configuration settings, that don't interfere with each other and you
don't have to fiddle around with the "configuration-switcher" hack.

> thanks again for your PdX lessons - they help me understand the
> difference between Max and Pd :)

my lessons are not PdX lessons; they are Pd-vanilla lessons;
fortunately they also apply to PdX.

> ==================================
>
> also, I found some other bugs/issues in [plugin~]
> see attached file for info

where do you have this helpfile from?
it seems to be unrelated to mine.
i have not found any traces of "bind" and the like in the source-code
for plugin~.c
have i fixed the wrong code?

> ===================================
>
> plugin~: "Delayorama"
> print: port in control Random seed 0 1000

looks good, doesn't it?

> error: [print]: close-paren without open-paren

oops; seems there is a problem with displaying symbols with parenthesis.

i don't seem to have this problem here (though i don't have the
delayorama plugin; and the "invada_mono_tube_module_0_1" works just fine
(with pd-vanilla 0.42.6)

fdgmasr
IOhannes