[PD] starting automatically "read only" (Ubuntu 10.04)

Ingo Scherzinger ingo at miamiwave.com
Fri Jun 11 11:03:30 CEST 2010

>If the file's contents have to be preserved between sessions, it's breaking
>the "read only system" paradigm. (You may still be able to use an usb drive
>for this purpose?)

It's actually working fine writing edited data to the rw sda3 partition
where some folders have been linked to.

>If the file can be recreated with the same content at each startup, i'd
>think about how to trick it to be on a temporary writable filesystem. I
>suppose we cannot change the default path for this file, and i'm not sure
if
>you can a have link in your read only filesystem (/home/ingo) pointing to a
>yet-to-be-created file on a temporary filesystem, but given the annoyance
>factor of the problem, it may make sense to trick your whole /home/ingo
onto
>a temporary filesystem (from where of course you will be free to create
>links to directories that reside on the read-only filesystem).
>
>Andras

I tried that already. I was mounting the entire /home/ingo folder to a
tmpfs.
That way I didn't have all files I needed available. All system settings
seemd to be gone.
After getting the data partition to auto mount -rw I made a link to the
.ICEauthority file. Didn't help. Maybe mounting drives comes later in the
upstart order. I should check that out.

Ingo