[PD] plugin~ external

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Fri Jun 11 21:05:19 CEST 2010

On Fri, 2010-06-11 at 11:34 -0700, Kim Cascone wrote:

> this is really confusing for people using [print]
> not knowing they are using the GridFlow external instead of the standard
> Pd version

I fully agree with you. I find replacing built-in vanilla object classes
a rather bad habit and quite confusing. I don't see a valid reason for
doing that.
Since one needs to load 'gridflow' anyway to use GridfFlow, why not
simply put a Gridflow specific print object when needed?

> how do we disentangle this and make it obvious?
> and why isn't there a GridFlow [print] external called [gf_print] instead?

Yeah, I cannot understand that either.

Too bad there are also other examples of libraries replacing built-in
classes around (e.g. zexy). Also too bad we both seem to disagree with
whom I consider the most Pd-savvy developers in the community.

Roman