[PD] plugin~ external

Kim Cascone kim at anechoicmedia.com
Fri Jun 11 21:50:25 CEST 2010

Roman Haefeli wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-06-11 at 11:34 -0700, Kim Cascone wrote:
>

>> this is really confusing for people using [print]
>> not knowing they are using the GridFlow external instead of the standard
>> Pd version
>>

> I fully agree with you. I find replacing built-in vanilla object classes
> a rather bad habit and quite confusing. I don't see a valid reason for
> doing that.
> Since one needs to load 'gridflow' anyway to use GridfFlow, why not
> simply put a Gridflow specific print object when needed?

coming from Max-landia it would most likely be done as follows:
[print] = standard object ships with both Pd-vanilla and extended
[gf_print] = print object shipped with the GridFlow libraries and _only_
called when
[gf_print] is instantiated in a patch

consider the [prepend <foo>] object and jasch's [_] object
the do the same thing but are named differently
so there is no collision in name-space
confusion in which lib to load from first
etc

>> how do we disentangle this and make it obvious?
>> and why isn't there a GridFlow [print] external called [gf_print] instead?
>>

> Yeah, I cannot understand that either.
>
> Too bad there are also other examples of libraries replacing built-in
> classes around (e.g. zexy).
we need to make a list of these or is there a place that this has
already been done?
>  Also too bad we both seem to disagree with
> whom I consider the most Pd-savvy developers in the community.

I say let's put that aside and just work to make sure all PdX
objects/libs work in a logical concise manner

:)