[PD] Possible to mask a rectangle with a rectangle using GEM?

patko colet.patrice at free.fr
Sat Jun 12 07:05:42 CEST 2010

hi again,

 after reflexion, I don't think it's a good idea to snap and apply alpha
when you want to apply a texture on the outer rectangle, some pixels might
disappear when they have the same amount of color that is supposed to disappear on the masking process.

It might be possible to apply a texture mapping on vertices drawn with openGL functions rather,
but I've no clue about how it could be done yet.

 Or just use the method proposed by jack that is about using four rectangles if you don't use a texture, you can connect them together like this:

[gemhead]

[translateXYZ -1 0 0]

[rectangle 0.2 1]

[translateXYZ 0.8 1 0]

[rectangle 1 0.2]

etc...

 Just loading an image containing the alpha hole, like attached would be cpu wise, very simple to do with an image editor,
and wouldn't add artefacts on your texture.
 I've attached an example patch and the gimp image, on gimp just draw the two rectangles, select the inner rectangle, go to Colors menu,
and then choose "Color to alpha".
 I've choosen the tiff format because it works on most platforms, unlike png.

Patrice Colet - 06 32 66 03 57