[PD] starting automatically "read only" (Ubuntu 10.04)

Ingo Scherzinger ingo at miamiwave.com
Sat Jun 12 17:48:38 CEST 2010

Hi Andreas,

Sounds like a good idea to put the entire "/home/user" folder into a tmpfs
but I have no idea how to get my data copied into this tmpfs prior to the
system wanting to use it.
Any idea?

Ingo

<ingo at miamiwave.com>wrote:

> >If the file's contents have to be preserved between sessions, it's
> > breaking
> >the "read only system" paradigm. (You may still be able to use an usb
> > drive
> >for this purpose?)
> >
> > It's actually working fine writing edited data to the rw sda3
> > partition where some folders have been linked to.
> >
> >If the file can be recreated with the same content at each startup,
> >i'd think about how to trick it to be on a temporary writable
> >filesystem. I suppose we cannot change the default path for this
> >file, and i'm not sure
> > if
> >you can a have link in your read only filesystem (/home/ingo)
> >pointing to
> >yet-to-be-created file on a temporary filesystem, but given the
> >annoyance factor of the problem, it may make sense to trick your
> >whole /home/ingo
> > onto
> >a temporary filesystem (from where of course you will be free to
> >create links to directories that reside on the read-only filesystem).
> >
> >Andras
> >
> > I tried that already. I was mounting the entire /home/ingo folder to a
> > tmpfs.
> > That way I didn't have all files I needed available. All system
> > settings seemd to be gone.
> > After getting the data partition to auto mount -rw I made a link to
> > the .ICEauthority file. Didn't help. Maybe mounting drives comes later
> > in the upstart order. I should check that out.
> >
> > Ingo
> >

>Well, when you mount your whole home to a tmpfs you have to copy all those
>needed files and system settings on it, and if you can, you have to save
them back >to permanent storage before shutdown.
>Automounting drives from fstab may happen sooner or later during startup,
but the >system is surely capable of mounting and temp-filesystems from the
moment the >kernel is alive, and you can make things happen at a given
moment in the boot >order by adding it to the right place in /etc/init.d/