[PD] plugin~ external

patko colet.patrice at free.fr
Sat Jun 12 19:05:23 CEST 2010

----- "Mathieu Bouchard" <matju at artengine.ca> a écrit :

> On Sat, 12 Jun 2010, patko wrote:

> > "Too much elaborated" would mean that it follow a kind of elitistic
> way
> > of doing things, like keeping a code undocumented, but in fact I was
>
> > more thinking about the build system when I wrote this sentence.
>
> If you have questions about the build system you should ask them. You
>
> don't get documentation without a target audience. Who is the target
> audience and what do they want in the documentation ?

 I might be mistaken about purposes of a software like puredata,
it seem to drive the user into the deepness of codes that
makes a DSP software, and it's great.
 Anyone that want to go deeper ends up by installing a build system for getting the last version,
 (because of a little bug or a missing object), let's not talk about autobuilds,
the version proposed in this directory is quite different from official extended version,
that is different from vanilla version.

 The target audience are also people that makes externals.
 They need a documented externals/Makefile.
 They are also the people that don't particulary want to have their
folder in sourceforge, but that would eventually use svn to download pd build system
and add their files for having a right build system to make their own external,
but doesn't want to share it because they feel it's not ready enough,
because they don't want to add more bogus objects to svn.

> >> How much money do I have to make with it before it becomes a
> profession
> >> and a professional tool ? Do I have to wear a tie ?
> > It's not about of money, it's about uses in a professionnal
> context,
>
> What is a professional context, if not about money ?

 Professionals uses to pay taxes.

> > most of pd users have choosen this tool because it's free and has a
> lot
> > of possibilities, but it doesn't offer quality and stability that a
>
> > professionnal tool is supposed to have,
>
> who says a professional tool is supposed to have that ?
> what's that "quality" thing ?

 Professional tools maintainers pay taxes.

> > for me artistic activities is not in this context, or the art is
> dead.
>
> Can you elaborate on that ? Sounds interesting...
> How would you define "dead" ?

"Industrial" is the word that comes to my mind, deadly industrial art,
with no freedom of expression, valuable people only would work,
 because they have a diploma, not because they are good at what they are doing.

Até breve,

--
Patrice Colet