[PD] plugin~ external

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 13 22:46:07 CEST 2010

________________________________
From: patko <colet.patrice at free.fr>
To: Jonathan Wilkes <jancsika at yahoo.com>
Cc: pd-list <pd-list at iem.at>
Sent: Sun, June 13, 2010 10:33:59 AM
Subject: Re: [PD] plugin~ external

>----- "Jonathan Wilkes" <jancsika at yahoo.com> a écrit :
>

>> There are "naughty" pieces by Mozart that have survived the ages,
>> regardless of past Mozart scholars who
>> have excluded them from their catalogues of the "complete" works of
>> Mozart. It may have been ignored for a
>> bit, but the cult of genius generally trumps the opportunistic desire
>> to destroy art.
>>

>We know Mozart because he has his pretty face on candy boxes, like F.Z. used to joke.

Who is F.Z.?

What you're saying is nonsense-- I know who C.P.E. Bach is, and there are no
chocolates that bear his name.  And I wouldn't talk about his music any differently or
play it less if someone commercialized his persona.

>> Anyway, your point that "it's not art anymore, art IS killed" is
>> clearly false. Imagine a tyrant who declares that
>> the only suitable music is a) by Beethoven and b) in C minor. It's
>> certainly a travesty that anything
>> by Haydn or David Bowie would be banned, as well as Beethoven's 6th
>> Symphony, but it surely remains a fact
>> that Beethoven's 5th is still a great symphony, regardless of the
>> tyrant's endorsement.
>>
>> There are plenty of pieces of music that sell very well in times of
>> nationalist fervor, or in general. But it's sheer
>> confusion to say that these pieces _aren't_ art for that reason.
>> That's misdirected anger; the real problem is
>> that other pieces are excluded because they either don't fit easily
>> into a category, or they present an alternative
>> viewpoint that sits uncomfortably with general opinion (i.e.,
>> dissident music).
>>
>> -Jonathan
>
>The problem is really actual, because it's related with this post-industrial period,
>where almost anything could falsified, or duplicated, where the main concept
>is about brain eating with a perpetual flow of those (duplicated&falsified)
>informations through almost all media, also used by "dissident people",
>who actually would be represented by rappers, or DJ's.

I don't know why all rappers/DJs would be dissidents.  I mean dissidents in a more
specific sense-- people whose music is excluded from discourse because of
political/commercial/cultural pressure.  Say, Rage Against the Machine after 9-11,
when Clear Channel stopped playing their music, as well as any other artists who
were considered anti-establishment (there's probably a list somewhere on the web
of these artists).

>Here we have a kind of example of the musical continuity imaginated by E. Varese
>where the musicians are removed to give the auditor always the same product.
>
>It's just a matter of time for anything individually created to be completely removed
>from the mainstream, and replaced by a logo, a lobby, a brain firmware.

That's a sweeping statement.  What does is mean?  Are all the Mozart scores in the
IMSLP going to be replaced by logos?

Btw- logos are typically created individually by a graphic artist taking direction from
people who generally know very little about how to make a logo.  Probably not so
different from the people who paid Mozart to write a divertimento. :)

-Jonathan