[PD] strange error in console

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Mon Jun 14 21:56:49 CEST 2010

On Jun 14, 2010, at 3:15 PM, Martin Peach wrote:

> Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>> On Mon, 14 Jun 2010, Martin Peach wrote:
>>> On today's Pd-extended 0.42.5-rc3 for Ubuntu lucid i386 I get this
>>> message if I open routeOSC-help:
>>> error: 'routeOSC-help.pd' is a deprecated name format for a help
>>> patch.
>>>    Please rename to 'routeOSC-help-help.pd'!
>>> I can't find it in the source anywhere. Does anyone know where
>>> it's coming from?
>> It's coming from s_path.c, function open_via_helppath, label
>> gotone_deprecated, line 428.
>
> ...which exists only in the pd-extended version I think.
>
>> It's because of a bug in mrpeach/osc/routeOSC.c, function
>> routeOSC_setup, line 146, which reads :
>>  class_sethelpsymbol(routeOSC_class, gensym("routeOSC-help.pd"));
>> when it ought to be :
>>  class_sethelpsymbol(routeOSC_class, gensym("routeOSC"));
>

> Ah yes, thanks. It's fixed in svn now.
>
> Martin

Really, the whole class_sethelpsymbol() function should be removed
since Pd will automatically assume the classname is the base of the
helpfile name.  That function is only used for times when the help
patch has a different name than the object, which is bad practice IMHO.

I have the audacity to believe that peoples everywhere can have three
and dignity, equality and freedom for their spirits.      - Martin
Luther King, Jr.