[PD] plugin~ external

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Jun 14 22:41:25 CEST 2010

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010, Roman Haefeli wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-06-11 at 11:34 -0700, Kim Cascone wrote:
>
> I fully agree with you. I find replacing built-in vanilla object classes
> a rather bad habit and quite confusing. I don't see a valid reason for
> doing that.

I don't see a valid reason for passing A_POINTER atoms around that aren't
proper t_gpointer pointers, and I don't see a valid reason for [print] to
say "consistency check failed" when it just doesn't know an atom type, and
I don't see a valid reason for avoiding the addition of custom atom types
in 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010.

   http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2002-08/007854.html
   http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-dev/2007-06/008995.html
   http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-dev/2008-07/012058.html
   (and so on)

> Since one needs to load 'gridflow' anyway to use GridfFlow, why not
> simply put a Gridflow specific print object when needed?

The goal is to replace [print]. If I just want a [print] but [print] can't
be customised to work with the atom type I introduce, then the built-in
[print] needs to be replaced. It should be as easy to understand as why we
shouldn't need a [printfloat] to print floats, a [printsymbol] to print
symbols, etc.