[PD] overriding objects

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Jun 15 12:57:14 CEST 2010

On 2010-06-15 12:32, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
> Thanks for changing the subject line.
>
> In your example, why wouldn't the developer just add a method so the user can send a message to set
> hardware or software acceleration (or query to see if hw accel. is available) if they wish to do so explicitly?

because openGL does not allow you to set hw/sw rendering.
it is the very concept of openGL, that the implementation (whether
rendering is done in hw, sw or quantum dimensions) is abstracted away
and you should not need to wory about that.

> Anyway, I think my [post] vs. [print] question is really beside the point.  What I want to know is if
> [gf.print] is an improvement over the current [print], why doesn't it just get incorporated into Pd?  It
> doesn't make sense that someone should have to download and install GF to get a less buggy [print] object.

yes, but that's the nature of Pd's development model.
furthermore, in reality i suspect GF's [print] to have dependencies on
GF, so you would be unable to run this [print] without GF installed.

> Most objects that post
> a console message only do so when the first instance is created, whether by actively patching or by opening
> a file.  (See [expr] for an example of this.)

[expr] doesn't do that. it's only the way you use [expr] that makes you
believe it does.

you get a splashscreen when you load the "expr"-library (that is the
file "expr.pd_linux" on your linux-system), which happens to provide the
[expr] class. normally you are loading the library when creating the
first instance of [expr] (because that's one way of Pd to load a
library) but you could force the loading of the expr-library by starting
Pd with "-lib expr" (or add "expr" to the libraries loaded at startup),
which will give you the message without having created a single [expr].

with GF it is a bit different, as you have to load the whole library
first in order to create GF's [print] then.
if matju used Pd's mechanics to override the class (sidenote: Pd
provides infrastracture to override built-in classes; so it seems that
while some consider this "bad practice", others are not so religious
about this), Pd would print out a warning about the print-class being
overriden (while loading GF).

this is "mainly" what was asked for, no?

fgmasdr
IOhannes