[PD] GEM sw rendering - was Re: overriding objects (was Re: plugin~ external)

Matteo Sisti Sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 13:04:36 CEST 2010

IOhannes m zmoelnig escribió:

> if Gem was doing like most of you suggest, there would need to have
> separate objects for hardware accelerated rendering and software
> rendering. e.g. [Gem.sw.cube] vs [Gem.hw.cube], [Gem.sw.translate] vs
> [Gem.hw.translate] and so on.
> now this might be interesting in some cases (i remember a feature
> request for sw-rendering in an environment with hw acceleration), but in
> general, i'm sure that i would not want to have to rewrite every single
> patch i developed on my prehistoric netbook to be able to run at the
> final target architecture.

Of course not. But what about a configuration option that allows you to
choose sw rendering?
Maybe a message to [gemwin], or some options you could set somewhere at
startup?

> e.g. the user of Gem doesn't really know whether hw acceleration will be
> available.

That's bad indeed. Sometimes it happened to me that on some machine the
rendering was slow like hell, so most likely for some reason the
hardware was not detected correctly and software rendering was being
used, but I had no way to be sure of that.

Couldn't GEM simply print out a message telling whether hardware
acceleration is available or not??

--
Matteo Sisti Sette
matteosistisette at gmail.com