[PD] GEM sw rendering

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Jun 15 14:21:04 CEST 2010

while it might be interesting for roman and kim, it might as well be
not; i have removed them from the list of direct addressees.

On 2010-06-15 13:04, Matteo Sisti Sette wrote:

> Of course not. But what about a configuration option that allows you to
> choose sw rendering?
> Maybe a message to [gemwin], or some options you could set somewhere at
> startup?

again: you misunderstand how openGL works.
the user is not meant to have control about these kind of things.

Gem is openGL, and it fully adheres to this principle.

>> e.g. the user of Gem doesn't really know whether hw acceleration will be
>> available.
>
> That's bad indeed. Sometimes it happened to me that on some machine the
> rendering was slow like hell, so most likely for some reason the
> hardware was not detected correctly and software rendering was being
> used, but I had no way to be sure of that.
>
> Couldn't GEM simply print out a message telling whether hardware
> acceleration is available or not??

simple: use linux, there you get at least a message whether DRI is used
(which doesn't necessarily mean that rendering will be lightning fast)

obviously this ("change your OS") is not a good solution for many people.

fmgasdr
IOhannes