[PD] Pd-extended tcl plugins (was Re: Patch Tracker)

András Murányi muranyia at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 22:20:58 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 8:32 PM, Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca>wrote:

> [...]
>
>  As far as I know, the pd gui rewrite adds the ability for custom tcl/tk
>> snippets through the command menu. This could be just a tcl call to svn
>> diff.
>>

> Ok, so, you have to hunt all over the internet for pieces of tcl code that
> take 1k each ? Pd has this concept of externals, that are rather
> plug-and-play (or at least: can be), and then Pd-extended changed the deal
> and made it no-plug-just-play, and then Pd-devel ("gui-rewrite") would have
> those snippets of tcl floating around so that you can download your
> menu-items one by one ? A little bundling would help...

Exactly, please no tcl plugins for pd floating around the net.
I see these reasons why having plugins is good for us:
- itsy-bitsy code that was not made up on a declared requirement can (and
shall) make it into the main codebase if it proves sense. A question may be
how is it decided - for me it's still better to write up a plugin sometimes
than huff'n'puff trying to push something into the svn that no one needed.
- externals, libs have a chance to modify the Pd GUI in the easiest way.

Andras