[PD] comment

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Jun 16 03:27:48 CEST 2010

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010, Kim Cascone wrote:

>> What seems to work in many cases here (ubuntu) for pasting the
>> clipboard is clicking both the left and right mouse buttons
>> simultaneously instead of doing ctrl+v.
> wow! this works -- thanks for the tip - this makes Pd commenting much easier

This doesn't paste from clipboard. it pastes directly from selection. It
works only with selections registered with X11. It's the original pasting
method introduced by X11 in the eighties, before Ctrl+c Ctrl+v became a
standard (and even then, some may remember Netscape 3 on Linux actually
having copy-paste like Alt+c Alt+v or Meta+c Meta+v instead!)

The keyboard shortcut for paste-from-selection is often Shift+Insert, but
I'm not sure that it's standard. I remember many apps having Shift+Insert
for paste-from-clipboard instead, but that might have been in DOS and OS/2
only, not sure.

As Mik says, Button-1 and Button-3 pressed together does the job of
Button-2 if your X11 server is configured to make this translation. Mice
that have two buttons are lacking Button-2. If you have a clickable wheel,
Button-2 is usually there, and if you have a nonclickable wheel, Button-2
may be a thumb button.