[PD] one help patch per class WAS: strange error in console

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Wed Jun 16 18:54:41 CEST 2010

On Jun 15, 2010, at 7:15 PM, Martin Peach wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

>>> me too.
>>>
>>> fgmasdr
>>> IOhannes
>> Yes, I really think that its bad practice to have multiple objects
>> use a single help patch.  We talked about this at length in the
>> PDDP meetings.  It makes things confusing to newbies and it usually
>> means the shared help patches don't illustrate the individual
>> objects well.  The only reason to do it that way is laziness IMHO.
>
> Well the original post related to [routeOSC] and [unpackOSC] using
> the same help file. I did that because [unpackOSC] is fairly useless
> on its own and [routeOSC] won't work without [unpackOSC] ahead of
> it. Also [slipenc] and [slipdec] are easier to demonstrate using a
> single help patch. Is having two identical patches with different
> names somehow better? If I use class_sethelpsymbol the user will get
> the correct help patch if they right-click 'help'. I suspect most
> peeps do it that way instead of drilling down into the externals
> looking for help patches.

This is a good example of what I am talking about.  It would be silly
to make a help patch for [packOSC] without [unpackOSC], but that
doesn't mean that they are the same thing.  The [packOSC] help file
should cover all the possibilities of [packOSC] and use [unpackOSC]
and whatever else to illustrate them.  Adding all the possibilities of
[unpackOSC] to the [packOSC] unnecessarily complicates the [packOSC]
help patch.  Therefore there should also be an [unpackOSC] help patch.

All information should be free.  - the hacker ethic