[PD] Data structures with $0?

João Pais jmmmpais at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 17 11:15:32 CEST 2010

Hi,

I was working on an abstraction with a gop data structure, and run into a
problem. I noticed that after closing the patch and opening it again, the
data structure wouldn't show, and the console would complain from a stale
pointer. Finally I noticed that the problem came from the templates have
$0- arguments, but these "abstract" arguments aren't saved by the
structure itself. instead, it begins with e.g. "1072-".

For now, the only way to make this work is the save the abstraction
without the data structure, and create it at init time. I can't send a
clear to the canvas, as it's an abstraction with gop, and the patch itself
must go somewhere. (in the upper patch only the graphic interface is seen)

But would it be possible/desirable that data structures with $0 in their
templates also retain the abstract $0 symbol in the structures themselves?
Or everytime a patch with such definitions is saved, there will be
problems when it's open again.
For example, arrays (which are a special case of data structures, afaik)
can retain their $0 symbols with no problems. I think it would make sense
for general data structures as well.

An outdated version of the patch with the stale pointer problem was sent
to the list some days ago,
http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2010-06/079989.html. Btw,
this is to control arrays with bezier curves, in case someone is
interested.
Does anyone know a general formula for bezier curves of the xth order?

Best,

João

--
Friedenstr. 58