[PD] cyclone license

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 20 21:02:28 CEST 2010

Well, there is what Miller calls the "Standard Improved BSD," or SIBSD,
which is generally referred to as the Modified BSD license to differentiate from
the "original BSD" license:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#SoftwareLicenses

The Modified BSD allows anyone to use the code in proprietary software.
But even with the GPL, the copyright holder can decide to sell
individual commercial licenses to a company to use the code in proprietary
software (The author of JUCE does this).  There's a
video somewhere on the web of Richard Stallman being grilled about
about this practice, but his explanation of suggesting it to a company
to get them to release the code under the GPL in the first place
seems reasonable.

-Jonathan