[PD] hexloader WAS: Pd-extended 0.42.5 release candidate 3 released!

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Sun Jun 20 23:15:52 CEST 2010

On Sun, 2010-06-20 at 09:26 -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> On Jun 20, 2010, at 8:48 AM, Roman Haefeli wrote:

> >> Congratulations.
> >
> > Can we stick to the topic?
> >
> > I repeat my question: Is there still a good reason not to load
> > hexloader
> > automatically at start-up in Pd-extended?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Roman
>
> If you want to find out, I suggest you read the archives to find out
> what the original problem was, and test it again to see if it is still
> a problem.

Googling for 'site:lists.puredata.info hexloader' gave me (in
non-chronologic order):

http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-dev/2009-05/013603.html
(fixed in Pd-extended-0.42-5-rc2)

http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-dev/2008-06/011865.html
[iemlib/any] does still not load, although [import iemlib] [any] does.
Now the problem seems totally unrelated to [hexloader].

http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2007-04/049085.html
(fixed in Pd-extended-0.42-5-rc2)

http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-dev/2007-09/009544.html
(fixed)

http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-dev/2007-12/010440.html
don't know about this one. Still an issue?

http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-dev/2008-05/011645.html
fixed. Though help-file for [.] still not available:
sorry, couldn't find help patch for "scalarmult.pd"

http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-dev/2007-10/009897.html
This is about the built-in hexloader, I guess.

http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2007-01/045955.html
Don't know, what this is about exactly. However, I think I can be
confident to state, that [hexloader] is generally working with at least
Pd-extended-0.42-5-rc2.

http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2009-09/072587.html
fixed in Pd-extended-0.42-5-rc2.

http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2009-06/070717.html
fixed

http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2009-01/067192.html
There problem here seems not related to hexloader.

http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-dev/2008-07/011950.html
This doesn't tell me anything more specific.

When digging some more into google results, it appears that quite a
portion of the troubles people have is due to hexloader _not_ being
loaded per default.

Hans, please let me know, if I missed the real reason you were talking
about and which should be found in the archives.

I feel that you're not much in love with hexloader, probably because
quite some portion of all the issues mentioned in any pd-list is somehow
related to hexloader. But often it seems, that hexloader is not really
the cause of the problem or the problem has been fixed long time ago.
Of course, if there is still a serious problem with it, I appreciate
your decision not to load it automatically.

Roman