[PD] initbang/closebang and $@ patch statuses

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Mon Jun 21 02:12:02 CEST 2010

The first is included in Pd-extended, the second could be if someone
wants to refactor it so that the patch applies.  I can't speak for
what's in Miller's trunk.

.hc

On Jun 19, 2010, at 6:55 PM, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:

> Hi list,
>      What's the story on the following patch?
>
> [initbang]/[closebang] for patch constructor/destuctor - ID: 1544041
>
> I know it says the status is "open," but on the other hand this
> patch was added
> in 2006.  From the related threads on pd user and dev, all I've seen
> are repeated
> hopes from various developers that these objects be included as
> internal
> objects in pd.
>
> The only negative comment I've seen was indirectly from dmotd on
>  2009-03-14, quoting Miller:
>
> "Anyhow, I'm trying to think of a better mechanism for allowing
> abstractions
> to have variable numbers of inlets/outlets, so I'm hoping initbang
> won't
> be necessary in the long run.
>
> closebang, though, will probably be needed in some form or other."
>
> I'd like to ask: what is the problem with [initbang] as it is, and
> what would
> a "better mechanism" look like?  If a "better mechanism" is not
> currently
> in the works, could these two objects be included in pd-vanilla so
> that in the
> meantime people can make abstractions that have dynamic numbers of
> inlets/outlets that will work on both versions of pd?  (I've never
> used
> [closebang] but I imagine the same reasoning holds for it as well.)
>
> Similar questions about:
> $@ and $# expansion (argc, argv) - ID: 1543850
>
> It looks like the discussion just stopped, and I couldn't find any
> threads on user or dev list.
> $@ would be very useful, as well as matju's suggestion about some
> kind of "nth argument
> and all the rest that follow."
>
> -Jonathan

If nature has made any one thing less susceptible than all others of
it to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into
the possession of everyone, and the receiver cannot dispossess himself
of it.            - Thomas Jefferson