[PD] [folder] external?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Jun 25 02:18:37 CEST 2010

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010, Kim Cascone wrote:
> Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>> Perhaps, but you still should have a look at
>>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begging_the_question
> which begs the question: does common and widespread usage of a grammatical
> mistake make it correct given enough time? ;)

Well, I don't consider it to be grammatical, it seems to be a vocabulary
issue instead, but in any case, it happened very often that mistakes
become correct given enough time, and in fact, much of today's definitions
and vocabulary started with things that sounded plain wrong and was
frowned upon. But to make it correct, you first have to kill everybody who
considers it wrong ;) or wait till they die on their own (the latter of
which is what usually happens... but not all of the time !)

An example of grammatical "mistake" is to end a sentence with a
preposition, but it's sort of a reverse case, because it's a change of
opinion, not a change of grammar : ending sentences with propositions is
traditional English, and a myth has been running around to justify a
covert reform. But when using English, as much as I can be annoyed by many
things, ending sentences with a preposition is obviously something I have
never had a problem with.

Par contre, en français, on saurait pas ce que tu parles de.

(This is a common joke about how people often speak French in certain
areas of Canada...)