[PD] [folder] external?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Jun 25 02:44:25 CEST 2010

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010, Kim Cascone wrote:

> true, British rules say the "comma", follows the quotations while
> American rules states the "comma," stays tucked inside same for
> periods/end of sentences

You know, I didn't really remember which was which : I use the one I use
because it's the standard in French. The US invented the other one because
it's different from whatever the UK chose. I wouldn't know about how it is
here because I don't read the news in English, but I'd guess it's an
unequal blend of UK and US style, simply because many other things are.
In north-american French, people stick Very Much to the French standard
for those rules of punctuation order (but for the rules of
punctuation spacing, however, the game is entirely différent).

> He was so excited by his discovery of the [foo] external he exclaimed
> "w00t!."
> in this case the period follows the exclamation mark inside the
> quotations but not sure if this is correct...

I would *definitely* write it like :

   He was so excited by his discovery of the [foo] external he exclaimed
   "w00t!".

Because the period ends the whole sentence and not the inside of the
quote. You can distinguish whichever punctuation order I pick because it's
easy to write down in a recursive parser and happens all over programming
languages (though that's really not why I came to prefer it ; that's
simply because it's used all over in the French language).