[PD] Insert an image with gop in an abstraction in a library

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Jun 25 19:11:46 CEST 2010

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010, Olivier Baudu wrote:

> Thought I'm not sure it's gonna help me with my problem I've tried to
> use [# see].

There's a big difference between putting a space after "#" and not putting
a space. When one writes [# +], then "#" is the class name, and "+" is an
argument ! This kind of argument is called a numop, and the same set of
numops pops up in a bunch of different classes. It's thus much more
flexible than having a class [#+] separate from [#-] and [#*] and so on,
because then you can have [#draw_polygon +], [#draw_polygon -], and so on,
where "#draw_polygon" is the class, and the type of compositing is an
argument.

However, "see" is not a numop (NUMeric OPerator) in any way, so, it's
actually part of a class name.

Spaces are ultra important, as they separate the classname from the $1,
and that can happen anywhere in the use of pd, though you'd notice it more
in GridFlow because of how GridFlow shifts some concept from "classness"
or "argumentness".

> I've install GridFlow "9.9" on my Ubuntu Lucid following the
> instructiona and add the library to the Pd path. But, obviously, I miss
> a lot of abstractions... including [# see]...

[#see] is not an abstraction, it's an external.

Do you have error messages in the console at load time ?

I think that the exact names of every class are all written in the
GridFlow Index, that you can find in the Help menu of Pd. From the
GridFlow Index you'd do Right-Click Help if on an object itself, or plain
Left-Click if it's only a link to the help file (links are underlined,
soft borders, and a bright question mark).