[PD] [OT] linux preempt kernel vs rt kernel

Ricardo Lameiro ricardolameiro at gmail.com
Sat Jun 26 12:50:01 CEST 2010

well, AFAIK, the "RT" Kernel is a generic kernel that is modified by a
special patch, that is made by Ingo Molnár. This patch gives the kernel the
ability to have a behavior that allows the assignment of time frames and
allocations to compute "rt" flagged tasks. Maybe this could be translated to
the scheduler.In the other hand, the preemptive kernel, its a normal Generic
kernel, that its compiled with different options. At compile time, the
configuration of the scheduler and company are configured more aggressively
to give a better response to the "rt" flagged apps.

As my opinion, that is worth nothing...., the preemptive kernels are comming
into a very good level, since the main tree ot the generic kernel, has
absorbing parts of Ingo's patches. But, still, the RT kernel is way more
accurate on the scheduling etc. problem is that, RT kernels are in nature
more Power hungry, and by the nature of its working, they could hang easily
a computer, keeping only processing an high prio task.

If I said something wrong, please correct me, I have looked at this stuff
since a year to try to understand it better, so if someone can explain it
better, please do.

Ricardo Lameiro

2010/6/26 Andre "Osku" Schmidt <andre.osku.schmidt at osku.de>

> On Fri, 2010-06-25 at 22:17 +0200, András Murányi wrote:
> > Hello people,
> >
> > does anyone know what is the real difference between an 'rt' and a
> > 'preempt' kernel in linux?
>
> dunno, but here's a pretty interesting talk about real-time kernel
>
> http://lac.linuxaudio.org/2010/recordings/day2_1045_How_the_Real_Time_Kernel_Helps_Audio_and_Video_Applications.ogv

Fagote / Contrafagote
Bassoon / Contra-bassoon
http://myspace.com/ricardolameiro