[PD] DeviceCycle for not reinventing the (jog)wheel

Christian Frisson christian.frisson at uclouvain.be
Mon Jun 28 16:31:51 CEST 2010

Hi,

I presented at the NIME 2010 conference a modest toolbox for pd.
<http://www.educ.dab.uts.edu.au/nime/PROCEEDINGS/papers/Demo%20Q1-Q15/P473_Frisson.pdf>

DeviceCycle offers a currently small number of abstractions and objects
to facilitate the rapid prototyping of gestural interfaces, using
off-the-shelf devices (plug and play event mappings, filtering towards
"gesture" recognition):
* Contour Design Pro2 and Xpress jog wheels, 3Dconnexion Space Navigator
3D mouse using [hidio] (hcs et al)
* Novint Falcon force-feedback 3D mouse using [np_nifalcon] (K. Machulis
et al, reusing also E. Berdhal's HSP toolbox)
* OSX-only Apple Macbook Unibody multitouch trackpad with a flext port
of [fingerpinger] from anyma.ch

The first alpha version is available here, and has been tested on OSX
Leopard only so far:
<http://www.numediart.org/download/>

Please send me your comments on the design and usability. The 2-finger
rotation abstraction is still buggy!

I have other devices available (Hercules DJ Control MP3, Wacom Bamboo
Pen & Touch...), support pending.

It would be great once it is in an acceptable shape that it would be
directly integrated into the pd-extended release! I've just read on the
flext list that flext objects integration on pd-extended is underway.

Best,
C.