[PD] software license for pd general patch?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Jun 29 06:04:52 CEST 2010

On Tue, 29 Jun 2010, João Pais wrote:

> Since it's a rather complex patch I would prefer for people not to edit
> it too much

Curious. I make complex patches and I prefer that people would edit them.

In any case, I don't think that you are stating the real reason. There's a
missing (implied) part in your sentence.

> (and if I get any grants to continue to work on it, it might get even
> more complex),

Complexity of a patch is not a goal in itself. What are you trying to say
when you talk about complexity ? Then what does it suggest about whether
to restrict access to the patch ?

> although most of the people using it won't be able even to open the gop.

Why won't they ? and then, why bet that it will work ?

> Another aspect is to prevent anyone to grab the code and do a commercial
> version of it.

Licenses do not prevent people from doing things, they just give you a
basis for legal action. This is a deterrent, but there are known cases
where it happened anyway, and then, there are surely many unknown cases.
It tends to depend on how easy it is to hide.