[PD] ttf-stream-vera dependency

Pedro Lopes pedro.lopes at ist.utl.pt
Tue Jun 29 22:58:23 CEST 2010

>P.S. this sounds similar to the old "dll hell" of Windows, which they
"solved" with the glorious >[sarchasm intended] winsxs folder which grows
and grows to as much as 15GB of mostly duplicate >dll's.....
I know what you mean, I remember my first years at college trying to develop
3d apps in Win. At getting Visual Studio complaining about one million
dlls... solution was usually a brute force copy paste of a dozen dlls to
weird system locations =P

Not trying to be a linux-fan-boy, I've used win my entire life and hated
those dll mess-ups. In linux there's many possibilities for solving
dependency issues, learning to use aptitude seems important - im still
learning it - as far as your issue:

>Now if this libmagick++1 also has dependencies on older packages of which I
already have newer >versions, and I manage to fulfill all this dependencies,
won't I end up with a messed-up system?
Install libmagik++1 and its dependencies. You can force the install of
packages if its needed but just use this as last resort:

>  sudo dpkg --install --force-all packagename

This command forces an install, ignoring dependencies and other problems.

As far as installing packages in linux, in debian-based my favourite way is
apt-get. Its the "trick" I'm more used to, and for me it serves almost every
purpose, the only disadvantage is it doesn't give "dependency proposed
solutions" like aptitude shows when there are conflicts.

I hope this is helping, I'm still not using Lucid - so my solutions can not
be the perfect comparison - mainly because I usually wait a bit before
upgrading to a newer version. Although I have a new machine at home and will
probably try Lucid on it.

Best regards,
Pedro

contacto: jazz at radiozero.pt