[PD] Problem with Textfile and line with float

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 30 01:24:20 CEST 2010

The problem occurs because Pd has several built-in message types, and the float message is one of them.
Pd expects any message that has the "float" selector to have one argument, and that argument should be a
float-atom (e.g., "float 1").  So if you type "float foo" in a message box and click it, Pd complains about
"bad arguments" because (I think) when the message box tries to parse the message, it sees the "float"
selector and thus expects a number for the argument, but instead it gets the symbolic-atom "foo."

In your example patch, if you disconnect all the objects from the outlet of [textfile] and click
the [bng], you'll notice that you don't get an error.  I would take this to mean that [textfile] does its
job-- its just that once you try to do anything with the message "float toto 0 1 2" by connecting
[textfile]'s outlet to another object, Pd will catch the badly formed message and report an error.

(On the other hand, if your example text file had the line "float 3 0 1 2," the first argument ("3") would be
the right type of atom, so Pd would just silently truncate
everything after the first argument.  But you'd still get an error from the
right inlet of [select float] because, ironically, by making the first argument of [select] the word
"float" instead of a float-atom like "3," you are instantiating a [select] object that expects symbol
messages and not floats.)

As far as a solution, you could begin each line of your text file with the selector "list", or a word that
is not the selector of Pd's builtin messages.  If you're reading in arbitrary data and you can't control
whether each line starts with something that could be confused for a built-in Pd message type, I'm not sure
what the best solution is.

-Jonathan