[PD] interface/pd-based standalone applications question

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Jun 30 17:08:06 CEST 2010

On Tue, 29 Jun 2010, Mike Moser-Booth wrote:

> I've always thought that what Max considers standalones is kind of
> shady. They're just the patch and Max Runtime bundled together. The only
> difference is that the patch(es) used are put together in a single file
> (which Max calls a collective, but anyone with Max can open on their own
> and edit) and that the Runtime automatically loads the patch.

What's the problem ? The difference is in the expectations. If you come
from a QuickBASIC MSDOS background and were picking standalone over the
version that used Brown42."EXE", the difference you were picking was in
the bundling of precompiled code into a file that already was containing
your own compiled code anyway. Thus the only difference was in the linking
options : it didn't make the difference between compiling and not
compiling, and in that sense, Max standalones don't have to make that
difference, when the job is a job of bundling.

> It more just gives the "impression" of a standalone executable.

It's a standalone executable. (what are you talking about ?)

> it's really not much different than just running the patch normally.

That's what the GOAL is.

If there was another goal, you'd have a checkbox somewhere or a different
dialogue that takes you through a different process, such as DRM,
obfuscation, compilation/optimisation, or whatever else that is a means to
reach the goal that you want to reach.