[PD] software license for pd general patch?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Jun 30 18:12:03 CEST 2010

On Tue, 29 Jun 2010, martin brinkmann wrote:

> though you could try some kind of code-obfuscation, like
> writing a little perl script which places all objects at
> random positions and gives cryptic names to subpatches
> and abstractions.

This might actually be easier to do in pd using [textfile], than loading
some other programming language.

> imho this would not be worth the effort, and a horrible idea to make
> deliberatly unreadable pd-patches...

If you keep on saying things like that, I will make a patch obfuscator
patch just so that the content of threads about obfuscation would shift
away from hypothesis and towards real issues. That would be worth it, in
terms of getting the debate to evolve past what pd-list was saying a
decade ago or so.

But then I recall that Thomas Fredericks showed a runtime obfuscation
patch that used iemguts, during his last talk at the local pd club
meetings. I don't recall whether it came with iemguts or is part of things
he made with it, but my point is that it already exists in one way or
another, it's easy to do, and people still talk like about it in a
conditional tense as if it didn't exist.