[PD] Only one instance of Pd can produce sound in Ubuntu

Pedro Lopes pedro.lopes at ist.utl.pt
Wed Jun 30 20:41:06 CEST 2010

I strongly advise using "Jack" as the audio engine in Ubuntu. It allows you
to have zillions of apps connected.

If you don't know how to configure/install jack we can help. I have used
OSS/ALSA a lot but jack simplifiies a lot of the troubles and allows more
connectivity between audio executables (pd, ardour, effect suits, in/outs,
etc..).

install jackd (the audio server)
install qjackctl (graphical front-end)

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 7:31 PM, Matteo Sisti Sette <
matteosistisette at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If I open multiple instances of Pd in Ubuntu (doesn't matter whether
> vanilla or extended or mixed), only the first one has sound. No matter
> whether I set "alsa" or "oss" in Media.
>
> (btw I'm sure I had seen also "portaudio" listed but now it's gone)
>
> Usually there's no problem in having multiple applications send sound to
> the same output device (not sure whether the same can be said about
> input)...
> Is there something I'm missing that will allow multiple Pd's to send sound
> to the output just as multiple applications do?
>
> thanks
> m.

Pedro Lopes
contacto: jazz at radiozero.pt