[PD] [OT] linux preempt kernel vs rt kernel

Pedro Lopes pedro.lopes at ist.utl.pt
Wed Jun 30 20:46:50 CEST 2010

What?

Of course not. Its a pacth - no compiling needed. But be sure to keep a
generic kernel at the boot (just use grub to preserve a boot without rt, I
never had problems and use the same rt kernel for 1 year, but safety first
=P)
Real time (-rt) and Low latency (-lowlatency) kernels

You may want to install the -lowlatency kernel, you can simply do:

 sudo apt-get install linux-lowlatency linux-headers-lowlatency

If you still experience Xruns or you have a firewire sound card supported by
the FFADO project, you may want to install the -rt kernel:

 sudo apt-get install linux-rt linux-headers-rt

2010/6/30 András Murányi <muranyia at gmail.com>

> Buh, it seems then i'll need to get a kernel from a PPA or compile it
> myself. A bit afraid of it, honestly.
> Thanks for the explanation!
>
> Andras
>

> On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 12:50 PM, Ricardo Lameiro <
> ricardolameiro at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> well, AFAIK, the "RT" Kernel is a generic kernel that is modified by a
>> special patch, that is made by Ingo Molnár. This patch gives the kernel the
>> ability to have a behavior that allows the assignment of time frames and
>> allocations to compute "rt" flagged tasks. Maybe this could be translated to
>> the scheduler.In the other hand, the preemptive kernel, its a normal Generic
>> kernel, that its compiled with different options. At compile time, the
>> configuration of the scheduler and company are configured more aggressively
>> to give a better response to the "rt" flagged apps.
>>
>> As my opinion, that is worth nothing...., the preemptive kernels are
>> comming into a very good level, since the main tree ot the generic kernel,
>> has absorbing parts of Ingo's patches. But, still, the RT kernel is way more
>> accurate on the scheduling etc. problem is that, RT kernels are in nature
>> more Power hungry, and by the nature of its working, they could hang easily
>> a computer, keeping only processing an high prio task.
>>
>> If I said something wrong, please correct me, I have looked at this stuff
>> since a year to try to understand it better, so if someone can explain it
>> better, please do.
>>
>> Ricardo Lameiro

>>> dunno, but here's a pretty interesting talk about real-time kernel
>>>
>>> http://lac.linuxaudio.org/2010/recordings/day2_1045_How_the_Real_Time_Kernel_Helps_Audio_and_Video_Applications.ogv

>> --
>> Fagote / Contrafagote
>> Bassoon / Contra-bassoon