[PD] interface/pd-based standalone applications question

Pedro Lopes pedro.lopes at ist.utl.pt
Wed Jun 30 20:53:39 CEST 2010

Processing (i don't like to type it with 55 =P but I know its the
original...) is completly transparent to OS. It works normally with Linux,
just grab it and launch it. Its java... so its JavaVM and OS-independent.

I have used processing with Pd, currently I'm using AS3 because its faster
for me...(coding wise). Although I'd rather have this on p5 because its
fully open.

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 4:08 PM, Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca>wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Jun 2010, Mike Moser-Booth wrote:
>
>  I've always thought that what Max considers standalones is kind of shady.
>> They're just the patch and Max Runtime bundled together. The only difference
>> is that the patch(es) used are put together in a single file (which Max
>> calls a collective, but anyone with Max can open on their own and edit) and
>> that the Runtime automatically loads the patch.
>>

> What's the problem ? The difference is in the expectations. If you come
> from a QuickBASIC MSDOS background and were picking standalone over the
> version that used Brown42."EXE", the difference you were picking was in the
> bundling of precompiled code into a file that already was containing your
> own compiled code anyway. Thus the only difference was in the linking
> options : it didn't make the difference between compiling and not compiling,
> and in that sense, Max standalones don't have to make that difference, when
> the job is a job of bundling.
>

>  It more just gives the "impression" of a standalone executable.
>>

> It's a standalone executable. (what are you talking about ?)
>

>  it's really not much different than just running the patch normally.
>>

> That's what the GOAL is.
>
> If there was another goal, you'd have a checkbox somewhere or a different
> dialogue that takes you through a different process, such as DRM,
> obfuscation, compilation/optimisation, or whatever else that is a means to
> reach the goal that you want to reach.

> | Mathieu Bouchard, Montréal, Québec. téléphone: +1.514.383.3801

Pedro Lopes
contacto: jazz at radiozero.pt
website: http://web.ist.utl.pt/Pedro.Lopes