[PD] [OT] linux preempt kernel vs rt kernel

Pedro Lopes pedro.lopes at ist.utl.pt
Wed Jun 30 21:08:50 CEST 2010

UbuntuStudio is an official rt kernel with 64 bits. You do not need to
compile your own. rt kernels are not at the same stage as the generic, I
never noticed any issue or problem with rts. But its your call.

I have two rt's, my first was Ubuntu Studio 64 bits, and later I pacthed my
Ubuntu Karmic 32 bits to be rt. It also stores all the other kernels, you
don't loose the generic ones and you can boot from them anytime, grub adds
every kernel image to the boot (you'll have the rt and the generic side by
side at boot). Don't worry.

This is my kernel version, on the 32 bits:
pedro at arkana:~$ uname -a
Linux arkana 2.6.31-9-rt #152-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT RT Thu Oct 15 05:01:14 UTC
2009 i686 GNU/Linux

Pedro Lopes
contacto: jazz at radiozero.pt
website: http://web.ist.utl.pt/Pedro.Lopes