[PD] [OT] linux preempt kernel vs rt kernel

Pedro Lopes pedro.lopes at ist.utl.pt
Thu Jul 1 00:56:31 CEST 2010

No... my grub is from the normal karmic. Did you had another ubuntu
installed previous? The thing is, when you install any ubuntu from karmic
up, it asks if you wish to upgrade to the new grub.. you can always say no.

Although your "grub-common 1.98-1ubuntu6" is already grub2 :) see [1]
The major diff is that in grub 2 there's a whole new way of editing the
entries, although you can sill do it the old way by editing the grub.cfg
file, they do not recommend - but its doable.

[1] https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/1.98-1ubuntu6

2010/6/30 András Murányi <muranyia at gmail.com>

> It says
> grub 0.97-29ubuntu60 (Legacy version)
> grub-common 1.98-1ubuntu6
> Afaik Ubuntu Studio is a whole lotta different dependency tree.
>
> Andras
>
> 2010/7/1 Pedro Lopes <pedro.lopes at ist.utl.pt>
>
> Nop, from karmic (9.10) up its grub2, the thing its a bit odd but
>> 1.97~beta4 is actually grub2[1].  Or a more trusted source [2] - see that it
>> reads grub2 bellow:
>>

>> grub2 (1.97~beta4-1ubuntu4))
>>

>> [1]
>> http://movingtowardslinux.wordpress.com/2010/01/26/installing-windows-and-linuxes-together-dual-boot/
>>
>> [2] https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/1.97~beta4-1ubuntu4<https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/1.97%7Ebeta4-1ubuntu4>
>>
>> 2010/6/30 András Murányi <muranyia at gmail.com>
>>
>>> Thanks all!
>>>
>>> I'm with (stupid:) Ubuntu, vanilla... so my kernel is not rt by default,
>>> i suppose.
>>> Will take a look at this patching thing... (before i thought it's the
>>> source you have to patch...)
>>>
>>> As for grub, it seems grub2 comes with a fresh Lucid install but my old
>>> grub just survived the upgrade (bet i'm glad)
>>>
>>> Andras

Pedro Lopes
contacto: jazz at radiozero.pt
website: http://web.ist.utl.pt/Pedro.Lopes