[PD] interface/pd-based standalone applications question

chrism chris at mccormick.cx
Thu Jul 1 03:11:46 CEST 2010

On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 20:48:30 +0000, David Schaffer
<schafferdavid at hotmail.com> wrote:
>     Is there anyone out there who could teach me how to make good
> looking stand alone pd apps, I mean pd patches with a nice looking GUI
> on top that would play on any computer even without pd installed. I
> saw this guy the other day with his max based lighting board stand
> alone app. and I thought it was pretty cool... Thanks!

Hi David,

You could do what RjDj are doing with their composition tool, and use
PyPd to make an interface between Pd and Python, and then build a GUI in
Python. There are a number of cross-platform ways of doing the latter,
including wxPython, PyTK, PyGTK, PyQT, Pygame (SDL), Pyglet (OpenGL),
PyOpenGL. RjDj use wxPython as far as I know, unless that changed
recently.

Here is PyPd:
http://mccormick.cx/projects/PyPd

Once you're done you can make cross platform binaries with py2app,
py2exe, or a great tool I found out about recently at PyCon AU: "Esky",
which freezes your app and also provides for automatic updates.

Cheers,

Chris.