[PD] Problem with Textfile and line with float

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Jul 1 10:12:11 CEST 2010

On 2010-07-01 05:13, Pedro Lopes wrote:
>  >(I was about to try screwing around with the code of [textfile] to see if
> I could achieve this >with my [lack of] c skills, but my linux box
> just died.)
> I was trying too, but couldn't figure out how to make pd load my modified
> textfile.pd_linux instead of the default one.. any hints? (I tried
> with--nostdpath and --path "file")

for one thing, Pd only uses a single dash for flags, so "-nostdpath"
would be better.
the other thing is, that the "stdpath" is only about the .../extra path
(the standard path (hence the name) to install addons to, like expr~ or
anything else). built-ins have nothing todo with the standard path, as
they are not looked for in a certain path but are built into (hence the
name) Pd.

anyhow, you can overwrite a built-in (with a recent-enough Pd-version
(0.42; PdX-0.42 might not do) by just making sure that a library gets
loaded which then registers an objectclass with e.g. "textfile" as the name.
suppose your textfile.pd_linux provides this, you just tell Pd to load
exactly this file:
$ pd -lib textfile
should do the trick.
if it does not, try something like
$ pd -lib /full/path/to/my/textfile

you can even force the loading from within a running Pd (e.g. because
you forgot to specify the "-lib" flag)
normally it would be enough to create an object, e.g. [tuxfile] to make
Pd look for tuxfile.pd_linux in (e.g.) extra/; this obviously doesn't
work with [textfile] because Pd already knows what to do when asked for
a [ŧextfile]. but you can use [../my/textfile] (supposed that
textfile.pd_linux is in a subdirectory "my" and you started Pd from
there (or have added there to your searchpaths)), to make Pd look again
for a binary and eventually load it: the loading will then magically
override your object.

the confusion with "path" and "lib" probably comes from the fact that
PdX treats adding search-paths as equivalent to load libraries

fgm,asdr
IOhannes