[PD] popen vs shell bug

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Thu Jul 1 21:35:11 CEST 2010

On Jul 1, 2010, at 3:26 PM, Kim Cascone wrote:

> Husk 00 wrote:
>>

>> On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 8:26 PM, Kim Cascone <kim at anechoicmedia.com <mailto:kim at anechoicmedia.com
>>
>>    I like having the outlet on [shell] so I can pipe data to the
>> console
>>
>> Yes, and moreover that system seems to freeze pd interface until
>> you kill the process.
>> Does it happen to you too?
> I haven't used [system] but what you describe does happen with
> [popen] as I indicated in my original post
> have you had similar troubles using [popen]?

That's the tricky part: ideally the process sent to popen/shell would
finish within one Pd timeslice so that it remains deterministic and
you know you can rely on the Pd's execution order.  I think [shell]
spawns a thread for the process, meaning that the reply is non-
determinstic, so if you are relying on the reply from that process,
you have to do some extra work to handle execution order.  For
example, just because you send a message to [shell] first, doesn't
mean you'll get its reply first.

"Free software means you control what your computer does. Non-free
software means someone else controls that, and to some extent controls
you." - Richard M. Stallman