[PD] software license for pd general patch?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Jul 4 19:00:18 CEST 2010

On Tue, 29 Jun 2010, João Pais wrote:

> with complex I think I meant "too intrincated to be worth spending your
> time with".

If anything is not worth spending your time with, then what can I say,
just don't do it. But you surely mean something else. There are more
causes that made you do things and you haven't spoken them yet.

> ah, only went to their website now, that's true, Pd's gui looks like
> it's still the same as in the original Max time at ircam.

Ah, if you mean whatever's inside the patcher, part of the problem is
because Tcl/Tk allows you to draw ugly things, I suppose. It's in the name
of freedom, really. But if you don't speak about what you're referring to
in particular, which aspects of the look, there's no real way to talk
about the problem, let alone help you to address it.

> that's a pity, because the gui and roughness of the display is something
> that deters many people from joining in - or just thinking that the
> program is as bad as it looks.

Much of it is an excuse by people who already plenty of reasons to use MAX
over Pd, e.g. "my thesis director requires that I use MAX", "the
programmer I trust best prefers MAX", "MAX is preinstalled at my
university but Pd isn't, because the sysadmin claims that it's a security
issue", or "I can't get any help from my classmates if I use Pd when they
all use MAX" or "I saw the MAX advertisement and I tried looking for a Pd
advertisement but couldn't find any" or the long list of more practical
reasons that are posted on pd-list or #dataflow from time to time and that
I don't need to repeat here.

The look of things does take some room in the reasons, but it tends to be
overstated because it's more obvious, it's more on the surface, and it's
more the first thing a user thought about.