[PD] Playing and recording simultaneously

Pedro Lopes pedro.lopes at ist.utl.pt
Sun Jul 4 22:43:05 CEST 2010

As far as I know: sampling ticks-sync from A/D or D/A is a responsibility of
the soundcard (or at least all the architecture behind it: a/d + soundcard
driver). Pd just accesses that to fetch the values or to write to it, It
wouldn't make any sense that it would change the sync* - but maybe someone
with deeper knowledge of pd-arch can assure that.

*I'm thinking from a point of view of audio applications that I've
prototyped in the past from scratch (C), there's no access besides reading
or writing data to the audio buffers provided by the OS, so apart from the
latency that the audio app adds (apart form all the other latency that
Mathieu already pointed out) it shouldn't interfere with the sampling sync,
that's responsibility of the sound card[1]

[1] Some cards offer you their own sample-sync possibilities such as some
MOTU hardware... (
http://www.motu.com/techsupport/technotes/phase-accurate-versus-sample-accurate-sync)
although I do not recommend MOTU =P

Pedro Lopes